Third party inspection minimises risk and ensures the equipment from all of your vendors is certified to the same standard.
2003 to present
TCO’s Tengiz plant, which consists of five oil and gas processing trains, employs a large number of vendors on site. With each vendor utilising their own heavy equipment and lifting gear, a large variance of equipment exits on site.
To safeguard the reliability of this equipment TCO required a dedicated inspection team to undertake the task of ensuring that all TCO and vendor equipment is inspected in accordance with the stated regulations.
TCO has been committed to improving efficiency since they took it over in 1993 and in 2003 they chose Sparrows to take on their complex inspection challenges.
- Our onsite operations are managed by a dedicated base supervisor working on a 28/28 rotation.
- A minimum of 10 Kazak nationals are employed onsite at any one time, with back to back personnel working on a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off rotation.
- All Sparrows inspection engineers hold the below as standard:
- LEEA qualified to level 1 & level 2
- MPI & Dye Pen certificates to British standards
- Personnel trained in accordance with TCO requirements.
- On site personnel make up consists of:
- 2 x base supervisors (Expat)
- 2 x coordinators/ translators (National)
- 2 x senior engineers (National)
- 2 x HSE specialists (National)
- 2 x level 3 engineers (National)
- 1 x level 2 engineer (National)
- 6 x level 1 engineers (National)
- 7 x trainee engineers (National)
- The typical turnover of inspections carried annually includes:
- Inspection of TCO and contractors, includes all annual inspections and MPI work for drilling rig contractors on location in Tengiz.
- Annual inspections carried out:
- TCO = 21 Contractors = 27
- Forklift inspections carried out:
- TCO = 112 Contractors = 145
- Boom truck inspections carried out:
- TCO = 3 Contractors = 94
- Crane inspections carried out:
- TCO = 17 Contractors = 203
- Man lifts inspections carried out:
- TCO = 22 Contractors = 203
- Winch truck inspections carried out:
- Contractors = 13 (Drilling)
- In addition to the inspection services we provide we also manufacture wire rope slings onsite to meet the demands of TCO and other contractors.
Summary of services/equipment deployed
- Supply of qualified and competent inspectors
- Inspection and certification services to both TCO and their contractors for all lifting equipment
- Certification management
- Training for end user of lifting equipment
- Incident investigations involving any lifting equipment
The solution applied by the Sparrows Group provides a number of benefits:
- Single point of accountability to increase efficiency and minimise the risk of uncertified items being utilised
- Independent third party verification to ensure compliance
- Developing, maintaining and sustaining a safety culture throughout TCO and vendors
- Maintaining uptime of vendor equipment, resulting in smooth onsite operations to support production
- Minimises the risk of incidents occurring by inspecting/certifying each item on an annual basis as a minimum